Common Building & Development Services Questions

You are here:
Estimated reading time: 2 min
  • How often must the elevator in my building be recertified?
    • Every six months, at the end of April and October.
  • How often must an elevator be checked to ensure the safety of the public?
    • At least once per month.
  • Do I need a building permit in order to install LP gas equipment such as gas stoves, water heaters and dryers inside my home?
    • Yes
  • Can I vent the flue gases from my gas appliances inside my home?
    • No, under no circumstances is the venting of flue gases into the home permitted.
  • All mechanical equipment such as air conditioning units and LP gas tanks must be firmly secured to foundations or building structures if they are located in hurricane zoned areas such as the Bahamas.
    • True
  • To ensure public safety, all LP gas appliances must be certified by a recognized testing agency such as The American Gas Association.
    • True
  • Outside air (fresh air) is required for ventilation of all commercial and assembly buildings.
    •  True
  • Car garages should have permanent openings to the outside for ventilation and to eliminate the risk associated with carbon monoxide poisoning.
    • True
  • Condensate drains from air conditioning equipment can not be connected to the sanitary drain.
    • True
  • All outside air intakes to buildings must be located a minimum of Fifteen Feet (15ft) away from any building exhausts such as sanitary vents, kitchen exhausts and air conditioning exhaust systems.
    • True
  • Generators can be installed without a building permit so long as it is on property own by you.
    • False.
  • How long does a unit/space/building has to be vacant before an inspection is required?
    • The code requires that any building/space that has been vacant for more than 180 days must be re-inspected for code compliance before re-occupied?
  • Why can’t I live in my house when I already have temporary power supply to my lot?
    • Temporary power is permitted to assist with construction operations only. It is not permitted for use with living accommodations.
  • After my final electric is approved, can I now get permanent power supply?
    • No. Permanent power supply is granted when a Certificate of Occupancy has been issued for a building
  • Is it legal to have solar power system(s) in the Port Area?
    • Yes. Alternative power supplies are allowed in the Port Area as a stand alone system or grid tie system. Permits are required before installation of these systems.
  • Who can I get to install my solar system?
    • All individuals offering services within the electrical field must be certified to do so and be a licensee of the GBPA.
Was this article helpful?
Dislike 0